What do you mean, I can’t just show up?
PLANNING makes all the difference to the success of an activity or event. So just as you spend time planning a meeting or an activity you need to spend time planning and getting prepared for the best experience you and the girls are going to have! This timeline will help you and your girls be prepared.
October – December: Start recruiting girls
- Call a parents’ meeting – update them with information such as fees, dates of payments, and your plans for fundraising and travel. It is a good idea to start collecting monies at this time, many parents like to make a monthly payment rather than lump sum payments.
- Your Area Liaison is responsible for booking transportation for transporting patrols and equipment.
- Program choices will be sent to you. Plan a meeting with your patrol to go through the program selections and send them in by the deadline.
- You will also receive the SOAR 2017 information booklet that will provide general information about SOAR 2017.
- Book two, two day camping weekends to practice your camping skills, your area should be planning at least one of these. Check with your Area Liaison for the dates.
- Order Girl Guide cookies for fundraising for your travel and camp fees.
- January 20 – Deposit of $1500.00 due (Ranger ½ patrols pay ½), payment to your area. Please see the payment schedule for out of BC patrols.
- Register your girls with program choices by February 15, 2017. The responsible patrol Guider will receive email links to register each girl.
- Practice your camp skills.
- Learn how to storm lash as there are strong winds in this area.
- Gather your patrol equipment.
- March 3 – $1500.00 due (Ranger ½ patrols pay ½) payment to your area. Please see the payment schedule for out of BC patrols.
- Practice camp – Pack the items that are on your personal kit list. Be sure that everyone has the right size packs so that they can carry their personal equipment, sleeping bag and mat for about 1 km. No plastic bags, or luggage please. Try carrying a day pack on the front, and a backpack on your back.
- Plan a cookie blitz to sell your cookies.
- April 21 – final payment due $1000.00 (Rangers ½ patrols pay ½) payment to your area. Please see the payment schedule for out of BC patrols.
- Practice camp – in your campsite, mark off space approximately 25ft x 25ft. Live in this space with all your patrol equipment for the weekend. Learn how to best utilize this space, and make any adjustments in equipment to be sure that you will be comfortable camping for 1 week in all types of weather. Storm lashing and long pegs will be a must for SOAR 2017.
- You have done your fundraising and practiced your camping. Finalize your travel plans, and soon you will be on your way! All participants in a patrol are expected to arrive together, either by bus or plane, with gear in a separate vehicle. Check with your area as they will be making the arrangements.