Here is some basic information about SOAR that you can take with you to share with parents who are curious about SOAR.
What is SOAR?
- Spirit of Adventure Rendezvous (SOAR) is a large Guiding provincial event held in British Columbia on a three year cycle.
- Each SOAR has been held in a different location in the province.
- It is a “back to basics” camp where patrols camp in tents, cook their own meals and mix with girls from around the province while enjoying a variety of activities.
- It includes not only girls and Guiders from around the province but also Interprovincial and International guests.
Who can go to SOAR 2017?
- Girls who are registered members of Girl Guides born in the years from 1999 to 2006.
- Girls will attend in patrols of 8 girls and 2 adults.
Where will SOAR 2017 be?
- In 2017 SOAR will be held at Bulkley Valley Exhibition Grounds in Smithers, BC
When is SOAR 2017?
- July 22– 29, 2017
Goals and Objectives of SOAR:
- To provide an opportunity for British Columbia Guides, Pathfinders, and Rangers to attend a large non-selected event.
- To provide an opportunity for a larger and longer camping experience than most girls experience in their Guiding units today.
- To provide an exciting and challenging program that provides girls with experiences they would not have had an opportunity to experience in their respective areas with an adventure component.
- To provide a camp experience that increases girls’ and Guiders’ awareness of the sisterhood of Guiding both at home, inter-provincially, and internationally.
- To provide an opportunity to learn and have fun in an accepting, friendly, happy atmosphere.
- To provide media awareness of Girl Guides of Canada/Guides du Canada in a variety of areas in the province.